Friday, February 20, 2009

Very exciting news today.....MUST READ!!!!!

Today was round 9. I'm doing really well...I'm actually blogging on Chemo day! My insurance company covers my chemotherapy at Mayo Clinic but does not cover for me to have my scans done there. So...I go to Banner Estrella Hospital to have my scans done each time, their radiologists create a report and send it to my doctor at Mayo. Due to me being "out of the normal" for this cancer, they always have had their (Mayo's) radiologists do their own report on the scans. The nice thing about Mayo is there is not one doctor reviewing my case...it's an entire team that makes decisions about changing anything. Today I was informed that my scans were reviewed again and they are only seeing 3 small tumors on my liver and that I may be a candidate for surgery!!! This is amazing news! The normal protocol is surgery first to remove as much cancer as possible then chemo to get rid of the rest. From day one, I was not able to have surgery due to my liver tumors being way too large and covering the majority of my liver (you can typically have the max of 50% removal and I was way beyond that mark). They now are waiting on one more surgeons okay to do an exploratory procedure (small camera through the belly button) to make sure that there is no cancer in the lining of my stomach or anywhere else. The scans are only showing the 3 small tumors now. If in fact this other surgeon gives the okay, we will be scheduling this procedure very soon. If they only see what the scans are showing then I will be stopping chemo for 4-6 weeks then having a pretty major surgery and have my colon resection (cutting out the colon tumor) and liver resection in one surgery. Once I'm healed from the surgery I will have a few more rounds of chemo to make sure all cancer is gone from my lymph system. They will then monitor me with scans every few months. All of the doctors are amazed at how far we have come since October. I'm am so excited!!!!! I've been praying for this day to come and now we just need to continue to pray for no other cancer found and a speedy recovery from the surgery. I will keep you all posted on when each procedure is scheduled and completed. I can't thank you all enough for your continued love and support. Our God is so good!!! Thank you Jesus for this day!

Much love,

Kim

8 comments:

Kim Igo said...

Wow, this is amazing news, I have been following your blog since the begining(just to jog your memory, my husband also works for Goodyear PD,this is how I knew about you). So I look at your blog every couple of days hoping for an update, you are now added to my favorites because you are such an inspiration to me. I am graduating nursing school in 20 days and I cannot wait to care for such incredibly strong and joyous people as yourself. I said it at the begining and I will say it now, the power of the mind and soul can create miracles. Keep up the incredible spirit you have, and I will keep you in my prayers!!

Kim Igo

Jill said...

YAY! So glad to hear this. God is good :) Continued prayers for you and yours Kim.

Jill

Crystal said...

Oh my gosh Kim what amazing news today!!!! I am so happy to hear it! We will keep sending the prayers!! Much love & big hugs from the Chestnuts!!!!!

Bre said...

Such wonderful news!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! Thank you for the fabulous update and we are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers always.

Miss JRenae said...

I knew this day would come!!! I am so happy, and I continue to pray that everything is going to be ok!!! God is awesome, and Prayer is powerful! I know that he hears our prayers and continues to give you incredible strength to stay strong and keep fighting! xo-Jamie D.

Quiltingranny said...

Tears of joy and prayers of Thanksgiving for you Kim, you bless me with your faith each time I read your blog!

Gayla said...

We are so happy (for all of you!!!) for the good news! You are really an inspiration to all Kim! We will continue to follow your blog and we will still be praying for you - keep up the postive outlook and faith! You are truly amazing - I hope one day we can meet!
Gayla and Connor

Unknown said...

It was so nice to "bump" into you at Ah-so the other night. You truly are an inspiration!

You are in my thoughts & prayers daily!